Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Final Week: Wednesday

This will be my last full Wednesday in England.

About 12:20 this afternoon I turned to Mark at a bus stop in Scarborough and I said, "A week from now I'll be boarding my plane."  What a bittersweet thing to realize.  In a week from now I will be flying over the Atlantic from Manchester to Reykjavik then on towards Seattle then home.  In just a week from today.

So today we went into Scarborough.  I had intended on taking pictures but I forgot.  We got up this morning all set to catch the 9:22 train to S'bro that would have gotten us into town about fifteen minutes later.  We didn't catch that one because we lost something we needed for one of our errands into town.  An hour and a half later, we still hadn't found it but the 10:59 train was coming and this was the last train we could catch for my Gunton to be on time for his appointment.  We were still a few hundred yards away when we heard the announcement for the train.   I don't run on the best of occasions (which my sister assures me will change) but I really don't do it when I've got 50 pounds of books on my back (okay, slight exaggeration).

The train ride was lovely.  There are lots of fields between Filey and Scarborough and they were covered in snow.  There had obviously been a light dusting over the night as the paths that our neighbor had so carefully shovelled were white.  When we got into town we had a few minutes to kill so we decided to see if we could find anything GB or England in Poundland (think the Dollar Tree).  They had nothing, though they did have lots of stuff for spring planting.  My Gunton assured me that he would, once spring came around, repot Harry the Christmas Tree into something bigger since he is root bound.  We then moseyed over to his appointment and we decided that, with the heavy books and the long walk to the university, we'd be better off taking the bus there.  We were quite glad we did.  Not only was it cold today but the walk was long and uphill.

We caught the 211 Fiely to S'bro bus back into town and meandered about.  We had some lunch, went into a few shops and looked about.  We went into a reduced price book store and he found A&W root beer, £1.25 or 2 for £2.  We had £1.90 so we got a book on cake decorating for £2.99 for a grand total £4.99.  He's not yet tried it but I think he'll like it.  We went in and out of a few more shops, mostly to kill time.  We eventually found our way to a Tesco and we bought some bread and, on our way out, got to chatting with a lady who was doing customer surveys.  When I looked at my phone we had eight minutes to get to the train.  We ended up having to run the last few hundred yards because we had lost time going over ice and taking a path that was a dead end.

I hate public transportation.  I hate it with a passion.

Fifteen minutes we pulled into Filey Station and we walked home arm in arm just chatting about things that are unimportant and easily forgotten.

We didn't have any great plans, there were no fireworks, no parades, nothing spectacular to remind us of the day we had.  There was no fancy meal or fine wines.  It was a quick, cheap lunch that we shared and walking around.  We had an average, normal every day kind of day.  And it was quite nice.

Just one last day of running errands and doing stuff that normal, average, every day people do but, one week from now, when I am flying over the Atlantic, I'll be able to look back on remember how completely nice a day we shared, just one week ago.

No comments: