Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pee Walk

A Pee walk?

Yes, Cooper gets to go on daily pee walks. This is the time when we have a morning or an afternoon free and I hook her up to her leash and we go for a walk so she can mark and remark her territory. Now, she is very good about this. There is a path that goes from our front door to a mailbox on the side of the road. Bison and other animals cross the path (I know this because she has all but vibrated sniffing their scent and they leave scat) so she has to reestablish her territory. And then we follow the road, head to the entrance station, say hi to people who are working and then we head back home.

That is, this is how it typically is.

Aside from yesterday that is. Cooper and I went for a slightly different pee walk the other day. We went down to the Shoshone River and got wet. I had on my work boots which are water proof so I didn't get as wet. Now, as you might have guess Coops is built slightly lower to the ground than I am an she has the advantage of having four paws to my two feet. This does not make for a good combination when she is still on leash and wants to run.

Over rocks.

Of course she goes bounding over rocks and grass while I am hurrying to keep up. And yes, you guessed it. I wouldn't say I was running but my foot got caught on a rock and I had a brilliant fall. I scratched my leg and it still hurts but thankfully I had taken the precaution of wearing a pair of jeans so they now have a nice stain of the local flora. And I missed hitting my head on a giant rock by mere inches. I scraped my wrists a bit. Better my wrists than my head I think.

And what did my faithful and trusty canine do? Simple, she looked back at me and looked at me wondering why I was resting.

So I got up, brushed myself off and then we had to get back up the bank to the street. Now, of course we could have taken the trail that we had taken on our way down, but no, that would have been too easy. And I think Coops had taken us beyond it. So we go up the hard way. At first we tried to go up the bank made mostly of dirt and flora. That didn't work. Nor was the half-hearted attempt to go up loose rocks. But a little further along I found something a little more stable. I had to grab Coops by her harness and tug her up onto the bank and from there we were able to hit the street, go to the entrance station, check some mail and then go home.

I even worked on the book some.

And today Coops whined while I made use of the gym upstairs.

But people need the computer so I think that this is gonna be it for now. I might, next time I head into town, go to Billings, MT instead. I hear the have a petsmart or maybe a petco. And it's only a 2 hour drive (and as Ryan the LE said the other day, it's all relative in the mts.)

As ever, I love you all.
Ehm

6 comments:

Christina said...

Two hour drive. You realize that's four hours, including the drive back? You're nuts. I can barely make it home from work without falling asleep some days.

You control the dog, don't let the dog control you! Also, put some antibiotic ointment on those scrapes. Glad you didn't hit your head, though :)

Sounds like you're having a great time. I'm jealous. And also miss you!

Unknown said...

Yeah I know. I dunno though. They have a costco and that's always nice. Maybe I'll just go to cody.

As of right now I have a few more days worth of food and then it's potatoes and rice and no meat. Oh, I forgot, I have some greenbeans.

Hmm, maybe I'll heat up a can for my supper.

Christina said...

Also, a Starbucks! Pssh. Who cares about meat? You could always resort to cannibalism...

Unknown said...

I think I'm gonna check out Powell and see what's there. Closer to Billings and hopefully larger than Cody.

Jenn said...

Your little adventure sounds a bit like what I did t'other day, only I didn't have the excuse of wet boots, rocky terrain, or an excited dog to bring my lard@$$ down.

Unknown said...

My boots are waterproof, I like them way mucho. And, the more I wear them, the more I like them.