Sunday, October 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Mark!!

Today is Mark's Birthday and he has had an amazing birthday weekend I am happy to say.


Saturday Uncle Phil and Aunt Anne dropped by with a present for Mark and then we hopped into the car and drove into town.  Aunt Anne thought I would enjoy the Princess Quay (pronounced key in the UK) which is a mall with four floors that has elevators the likes of which they have on a cruise ship.  I had told Uncle Phil to just keep an eye out because I have parking Mojo.  For those who don't know, if I am in the car, great parking places have a tendency to just appear.  But as we went up one level then another with another without any obvious parking places I was fearing that my parking mojo did not work in England.  This was quite disheartening.  Eventually though Aunt Anne told Uncle Phil to go straight instead of turning to go up another level as she saw a parking spot that was cleverly hidden between a support post and a car.


We walked around the mall for a bit and Aunt Anne made sure to point out shops I might like.  We discussed her son's wedding while the men walked a careful distance behind us.  Eventually Aunt Anne brought me to a store called Primark that is bit like Mervyn's.  They had loads of PJs made out of flannel and fuzzy and cotton and all sorts.  And there were plenty of scarves (I was quite excited) and gloves (oh boy!) and all sorts of clothes!!  Mark was feeling a disturbance in the force.  We eventually lost the boys and then had to find them and once we collected the Guntons we went for a walk about downtown.  They showed me the old docks and the docks for the ferries that used to run across the Humber River, which is about the width of the Mississippi.  It's a river that comes off from the ocean so it has tides and when the tide is out it turns into a mud flat.  Quite cool really.


We then continued around, stopped and had a bit to drink.  Mark was able to get me a Diet Coke and once we wet our whistle we continued walking around Old Town.  It's really cool to see these buildings that were built in the 1330s that are still in use today.  We simply don't have history like that.  The house Mark and I are living in is a piece of crap working house built in the Victorian era.  And it still has most of the modern conveniences of the era too.


Uncle Phil then followed his nose and found a chain pub.  We shall not be going back as I've had better fish & chips in CA and they had no Diet Coke... I was forced to drink Diet Pepsi.  Poor Mark felt as if he were letting me down.  He's so sweet.  :)  The four of us had a lovely conversation where I tasted Pimms, what Mark referred to as a salad in a glass.  I also had a taste of a Bitter (beer) called John Smith that my sister would really like.  At one point we passed by a Beer Festival which really intrigued Mark and Uncle Phil... but they resisted.


After several hours of wondering around we returned to the mall where we got some ice cream.  Uncle Phil enjoyed poking gentle fun at me, the way the Brits do, and when we entered Baskin Robbin's he wanted to know why I choose that when we have them in CA.  I objected as Aunt Anne picked it out and gave him a dirty look which only made him laugh.  Then we met a coworker of Uncle Phil whose daughter is a freshman at Hull.  This was the first time in a week she's seen her parents.  :)  And finally we headed back to the car.


There was a father with his two little boys in the garage elevator with us and the older boy had a picker upper thingy that was a dolphin.  He was really cute and when we exited the elevator we realized that we had the perfect parking spot so it appears as if my parking mojo does work in England.  I was so glad.


And then Uncle Phil took us across the Humber Bridge.  It was, until recently, the largest suspension bridge in the world.  It is so long it follows the curvature of the earth!  I learned about it from Top Gear and decided I wanted to go across it.  Uncle Phil & Aunt Anne are Top Gear fans and are on the waiting list to be in the Top Gear audience.  They said it takes up to two years!


Once we have paid the second fee of 3 pounds we pulled over to a park next to the bridge.  We walked about the park area and just enjoyed the afternoon.  It was a beautiful day and there were a million people out and about enjoying the weather I had brought with me from CA.  Uncle Phil went off to find a restroom and I discovered someone selling Diet Coke.  Now, if you know me, you know that when I open my mouth to speak I have no idea which accent will flavor my words.  As it happens when I got to the counter an upper class English accent came out as I asked the nice guy if he had any diet coke.  He said it depended on how cold I wanted it.  He pulled out a bottle and handed it to me.  It was room temperature and I kindly asked about the cans.  He was such a dear he reached all the way into the back and brought forth a can and handed it to me.  I smiled it was perfect and I paid him and enjoyed my spoils.


I talked about it with Mark and he suspects that it because I spoke with an upper class accent that afforded me such dedicated service.  Hey, if it works I'll use it.  :)


Eventually though, we left and returned home.  It was late and Uncle Phil & Aunt Anne had to return home.  We hugged and kissed them goodbye, thanked them for a wonderful day and retired for the evening.


At some point we decided to order some take out.  Our dinner was supposed to arrive a bit after 8 and Mark had to go and collect it sometime after 9.  We will not be returning.  All in all it was a good day and we eventually went to bed.


Sunday Mark and I woke up and breakfast required a quick trip to the Tesco's Express that's across the street.  An express is a bit like the grocery department at Target without the Target.  We returned home, and I proceeded to make Mark his Birthday Breakfast.  He ate every bite.  I love feeding him.  :)  While we were finishing up his friend Simon came over and then we went off to go to a different grocery store and buy food for his Birthday Dinner.  Although I managed to find everything I required-mostly- I found that I had the largest desire for Home than I have ever felt.  I was desperately wishing for Raley's or even Target!!    Something I recognize as being a civilized shopping center!!!  Eventually though we got out of there alive and I was able to start on making the sauce for his lasagna dinner.  I had even gotten a box of toffee cake for his Afters (dessert).  I have yet to bake it but I think I shall work on that in a few minutes.  If there is one thing my boy loves outside of his family and me, it's coffee and toffee.  A smart girl knows what makes her boy happy and I plan on keeping mine delirious, even if I have to dope him with coffee and toffee cake.  


And because I love him, I even gave him veto power in the avon order I plan on making here in a few days.  Our neighbor is an Avon Lady... so nice.  :)


But our day is rapidly coming to a close and I have things I still need to do so I think I shall bid ye all a good evening.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Veto power? Baaaaaaad precedent, Emily!