Monday, September 26, 2011

Registration Day!

Today was the day for registration.  Yay!


According to the schedule I got, there was a department meet and greet in the Larkin Building at 1:30.  Mark and I got to the university a little after and wasted time in the wrong side of the building.  He was a dear, however, and went off to find the right place while I waited by a door waiting for some people to end their meeting.  A sign said international students needed to go there, so I did.  I didn't really.  I got my registration packet and discovered that the electives I choose earlier this month were not registered.  This isn't going to be a problem as I was able to choose two elective modules right then and there.


Apparently several members of the department knew of my Visa saga of last year.  Lovely, I already have a reputation but they seemed pleased that I have finally made it!  I know I am and I have a sneaking suspicion that Mark is too.  :)  Once my packet was all signed for I just needed to actually register.  Registration was open from 3-5 today and, as we were walking along we found that today was the day to register for a GP.  Say what?


According to my schedule that was supposed to be on thursday.  Sigh.  Not a big deal though because then we can do it now rather than much later.   So we walk into the building and there's  man who hands me a form to fill out and he asks me where I live and I tell him just off of Beverley and he goes, alright you need to talk to this lady over here.  And then she wants to know where I live so I tell her.  She doesn't know the cross streets.  So Mark had to tell her that we live next to Bull Inn and then the light went off.  And Californians have a bad reputation for stupidity.  Now, when I applied for my Visa there was a warning that said I might  have to pay for any medical costs so I was surprised when I got words that the university requires all students to register with a GP.


I gave the hospital/clinic where I am registering my information and was told they'd get in contact with me in a few days to make an appointment for a physical.  They wanted to know my NHS number, which I will be getting I am sure.  And my previous UK addies, which I don't have and my medical history which is quite brief.  So I shall be getting a physicl, which is a good thing and hopefully I can get their version of levothroid!  :D


And then we continued on to register.  We show up and there are signs pointing the way and a woman asks me if I'm here to register and I said, yes and she asked to see my registration packet and told me to stand in the middle line.  After a few mintues those who were in the Home & EU line were brought in and I was behind them.  Seeing my passport the guy who led us in took me out of line and sent me to a special registration area where they check visas.  Glad I have one.  The woman entered my information into the computer, marked the top sheet and sent me upstairs.  So Mark and I go upstairs where we are informed we need to go down the hallway, last door on the right.  


We get to stand in yet another line where eventually someone else scans my Visa and finishes my registration.  He then takes a picture for my student ID card and apologizes for it being yellow.  Finally we were done and then it gets funny.  Just outside are two girls who are obviously American.  One is from the east and the other is from CA and they weren't sure what to do next.  And I said, do you have your ID card?  They said yes, and I said, then I think that's it, you're done. And I asked if their pictures were jaundices too.  And the girl from the east, a blond naturally, goes what?  I repeated myself and she goes, I'm from the US and we don't really have that there.  And I said, your picture is yellow right?  Jaundice.  She still had no idea what I was talking about.  Surprised the child could find her left shoe let alone England and Hull.


And now we head up to IT so that I can get the laptop connected to the school's WIFI.  That took a while itself as the IT guy didn't seem to be able to speak due to his Hull accent getting in the way of proper enunciation but he was a nice guy and got me sorted out well enough.


By now I was done and I just wanted to go home.  Mark bought some DC and what looked like Whoppers.  They were similar but they didn't taste the same and they were definitely not as good.  


But my I met my master prof. who is reasonably distracted as his wife is due to give birth to a little girl here at any moment.  And Mom, I speak better than my profs- elocution wise.  :)  But then a lot of people speak in their normal regional accents and don't concentrate on speaking "well" as we'd call it.  But that's alright.  What really surprises me is that I have not yet adopted any kind of regional accent, or have lost my American one.  maybe that'll change when I start my classes, but if they're only twice a week maybe not.  I suppose we shall see.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They don't seem very organized, do they?

Unknown said...

no, they really don't. At least I don't have to go back at all this week so that's a good thing. I am trying to get things cleaned and it's hard. There's so much dirty here it's really hard to figure out where to start. But I shall get things in some semblance of cleanliness so that when Mark's parents come for a visit in Oct. I won't be embarrassed!! Happily I have a month to do that. :D