Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Money Saga Part II

Or, How to Get a UK Bank Account if you're an International Student


I have written a post about my trials and tribulations in applying for, getting and securing my financial aid for my visa.  For some reason the UK Border Agency (UKBA) wants to make sure that students coming into their country have enough money to pay for their course fees and have enough money to pay for room and board so they don't get onto welfare.  Having succesfully secured a loan, gotten a letter of proof of funds from the university and having got here I then enjoyed the frustrations of trying to get a UK bank account.

Which is not nearly as easy as you might think.

So, for anyone planning on going to the UK for school who are going to open a checking account, please pay attention as I am about to save you a lot of walking, headaches, idiots who don't know what the heck they're doing, what you're doing or what's been done as well as save you from tears of frustration that could lead to homicidal rage-which isn't exactly pretty.

So here is my guide to getting a UK bank account if you're not a British citizen:

1.  Get a letter of introduction from the International Office.
The very first thing you should do when arriving in the UK is to go to the International Office-even before you check out the University itself.  Now, for Hull, the International Office likes to know that their students have arrived.  They even have wristbands you can wear so if anyone from their office sees you looking bewildered  they'll help you out.  I did not wear mine as I had Mark with me.  For Hull, there was a specific day where they had banks to get students bank accounts.

For me I chose Lloyds TSB simply because it's the bank the university uses and it's just down the road from both the International Office and the University-convenient eh?

When I went to open mine, I was told that I needed to go to the branch itself as they knew students were coming.  They knew students were coming and though they were willing to take down some information they still needed those letters. Which brings me to my next hint.

2.  Make sure you have your Passport & Visa on you when trying to open an account

I have seen more than one person turned away because they didn't have their passport on them.  Don't let this happen to you.  And no, a passport card or a DL isn't going to work.  You need the same passport and visa you used to get through customs.  When I went over that Tuesday they made a copy of both my passport and the visa.  They also had me fill out an application.  And then they told me to return the following day with my Letter of Introduction.

I had returned to the International Office the following day to be told quite rudely that the banks would pick up the letters directly and that I'd get an email when the account was open.  Fine, whatever.  A week later I still had not heard from the bank so I decided it would behoove of me to get a little pushy and returned to the International Office and asked about it.  Sure enough the bank had come and the letters had been given. Wonderful!  So I walked to the bank and asked about getting my account opened up!  The lady quite nicely told me that, due to the sheer press of students, they haven't gotten to them all yet (a week later) and that they might be finished on Friday.  Well... it didn't matter all that much since I didn't even have my money yet!

The original email I got said the financial aid disbursement checks would go out on the 20th only to find out that they weren't going to be disbursed until Oct. 3.  Um... that's a difference of two weeks and when you've got no money, that's a bit harsh.  But I had Mark so we were doing okay... for now.  But that brings me to my next suggestion:

3.  Make sure the bank looks at your application and tell you everything they're missing and need from you!

See, I wasn't quite pushy enough.  After I had said a merry, ok thank you and left the bank that monday (it was the 3rd) I went to the university to track down the guy who was supposed to give me my money!  grr....   He asked if I had my bank details and I said- uh, not yet so then he said that I'd be getting a check in pounds sterling and that he was putting out the info that day and the check would arrive either Tuesday (which it did) or Wednesday (when I was able to physically pick it up).

So It's now Wednesday and I had a beautiful check made out to me and I really wanted to deposit it into my bank account as I really needed that money already.  So I return to the bank, sure that I'd be able to open my account.  And no, I was not! See, they needed a letter of introduction and proof of residence.  Great.  I was told by the bank that they hadn't gotten a letter of introduction for everyone and I was one of the unlucky few.  Happily, I had gotten one from the guy in the International Office the previous Monday so I was able to give that to them right then and there.  Which bring up item #4:

4.  Make sure you have proof of residency from the Landlord or the International Office or via a Status Letter from the University

But now I needed to get proof of residency.  My problem is that, without any money, I can't afford to get onto the lease, without being on the lease, I can't get my bank account and thus no money... it's a vicious circle.  So I return to the International Office, ask them where I am to get it and, shock and surprise I can get it from them!  Only... I can't because you see... I'm not living on campus and they only have it from students living on campus.  So I had to go to the 2nd floor (what we in the real world would understand to be the third floor as the ground floor is  the first floor) of the Hull Student Union and get one from there.  And finally I got my Status Letter.

Which required yet another trip back to the bank.  Fortunately this was all that they needed and they accepted it.  Of course, it was still going to take them time to register it but they said they'd do it later that afternoon.  I was also finally able to put that beautiful check into the bank... but they have a 3-5 working day clearance so for me that's next Tuesday.  However, I should be able to access my money and get my ATM card whenever I head over there on Tuesday morning so yay!  I just need to bring my passport with me is all.  I can do that.

So, if you are going to open a checking account in the UK as an International student here's what you need on hand, with you before you go.

1.  Get a Letter of Introduction from the International Office
2.  Make sure you have your passport when opening up and dealing with the bank at all times
3.  Make sure the Bank looks at your application and lets you know what items you're missing
4.  Make sure you have a lease contract, statement from the landlord, a letter of residency from the International Office or a Status Letter from the University.

Only then, my intrepid friend, should you even think about opening an account!




6 comments:

Erudite Aspie said...

What a pain!

Unknown said...

This is a lot of FAIL on the part of the university, sez I.

Unknown said...

yes... yes it is. I think I'm going to head over on Monday before class and see if the check had cleared yet. If it has then I'll withdraw some cash. If not then I'll just go back on Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be able to choose my own PIN. I really don't wanna have to remember two PINs!

Unknown said...

yeah... I'd have to agree Mom.

Captain Hesperus said...

Sucks to be you. On the other hand, at least youy *actually have* money....

Unknown said...

oh hush.