Thursday, September 22, 2011

Welcome Week Day 2

Day two and the International Office was having an open house for banks.  Mark & I had already gone online to check out the bank options in town and decided on the Graduate account with Lloyds TBS which was to start at 12:30.  We were a bit delayed getting there because mark's friend came over to do some laundry and we sat and had a nice chat... that is until his friend tried to tell me that traditional Mexican guacamole never has tomato in it.  Then we had an argument as I took exception to some brit whose idea of mexican food is taquitos.  Really? 


Once he was gone Mark and I headed out and arrived at the International Office where we stood in a very long line to talk to banks.  A woman came out asking for our attention and asked if anyone there was for Lloyds.  Several hands raised and she said that we could just go to the bank office, they've been told to expect an influx of students and that we don't need letters.  So with a canadian girl and an exchange student from WA we went to Lloyds and waited in yet another line for the two harried tellers to get us all settled.


When it was finally my turn I was told that the graduate account is only for residents but that they had foreign student account, at least that's what it sounded like as I couldn't quite hear her over the noise.  So I signed the papers and she said I could bring my letter of intro the following day.


So Mark and I stopped at a bakery, bought a loaf of bread and took the long way home through Pearson Park.  We then stopped off at Tesco's Express, bought a few things for supper, came home, had lunch and we have not been hungry since.


So tomorrow I guess we'll return to the school, get my intro letter, get the bank account active, send that info to the guy who will be sending me my disbursement check.


So not much happened today and I don't think much is going to happen tomorrow either but such is life.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It may be boring bit at least you're there!

Unknown said...

very true and I'm not exactly complaining. :)

Captain Hesperus said...

And the nigh on four mile round trip each day sure works up an appetite!