Sunday, May 23, 2010

That was odd

The temperature hovered around freezing, warming up to almost not freezing then dropping back down to freezing. It snowed, it was sunny, it snowed like the dickens, making everything white and pretty, then it stopped snowing, the sun came out and melted all the white and then it did it all over again.

Yesterday. In May. At the end of May. In fact, Sylvan Pass was closed from about 7 to almost 11 yesterday. Well, they had to plow it, then the plow broke down and then there was low visibility but still... We had a line of cars a mile back waiting for us to open.

Weird.

And this morning Coops and I woke up to a very light brushing of powder on the ground. It is bright, clear and crisp and very cold. It's a perfect autum day in spring. And though I was bundled up in layers (long sleeved shirst, vest, sweater and finally a fleece jacket) I enjoyed it a lot.

Traffic is still slow but this coming weekend is memorial day weekend and though I get holiday pay (score) the traffic should be scary bad. Of course, it won't be anything like what we've had during the summer or will have (I hope) at least I have the mad skilz to deal with it. I just wish we had more than 3 people working that day. oye. But more than that, I will be wishing I were celebrating the holiday with my family.

But we have a new flag and we will be raising it for the first time on memorial day so I am going to be down there, in uniform to witness it. I am going to ask dennis if I can have the old flag. He said that he is going to send it up to mammoth to be retired properly but I think I would like to bring it to hull with me when I come.

But there will be pictures from the flag raising next monday.

Until next time-

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Ah, let 'em retire it honorably and get your own smaller one. If a flag is tattered, it is supposed to be retired, not hung again somewhere else.

The weather has been unseasonably chilly here, too. Last night leaving B&B's anniversary party it was positively COLD, and I had to toss another bankie on the bed last night to keep warm. Highly unusual for last week in May.

Erudite Aspie said...

They give Holiday pay? No wonder our country is broke. :)

Unknown said...

@mom: It's like fall weather up here. And I heard on the radio this AM that they had to close the south entrance and then, when they did open it, they were requiring chains and not allowing tows.

It's cool but crazy. But then they're really happy about it, honestly, because they didn't have a really wet winter and that could mean a higher chance of fire.

@Libbie: They give holiday pay and you get an extra couple of bucks for working sundays and then then you get a bit extra an hour for every hour you work after 6 PM.

And it's not the entire country that's as bad as CA... but then, when you have a red state things are a little better than blue states.

Jenn said...

Rain yesterday and today...it was going to rain over the weekend, but it looks like that's been forestalled and it'll be partly cloudy instead.

Unknown said...

I woke up to 2 inches of snow on the ground that had fallen overnight. They closed the pass again but by the afternoon it was all clear, the snow was melted and it was a lovely spring day. I was told that we're in for some more fun weather the next couple of days so memorial day weekend in the park should be interesting. I am off the next 2 days but, as I have no more moolah, I shall be at home, reading.

Jenn said...

It's going to finally be in the 90s by the weekend.

Woe!

Unknown said...

owie.

It is still cold here. We have a cold front coming in and they are calling out storm warnings for the Old Faithful areas.

I even have a cold rash on the inside of my leg where my summer trousers weren't quite warm enough to combat the cold. I now have winter trousers and they work much better.

Jenn said...

Just in time for it to warm up. :)

Did you know you left some uniform shirts here?