Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Moving Part I

I hate moving.

I really hate moving.

Maybe it's because I am inherintly lazing, because I hate throwing things away (I might need it at some random point in the future) or it just might be that I had boxing things up and taking them from one place to another.

It might be a combination of everything.

But I hate moving.  Have I mentioned that before?

Our landlord has to sell the house where we're currently living.  That sucks.  He gave us time to find a new place and move.  So we've been looking but there's really no rentals in Elk Grove right now.  So we're looking to buy something.  And there's a reason people go through real estate agents. Holy cow.  I have my eye on a house with a huge back yard, large enough for a 100 person wedding.  Not too bad.    It's also a HUD home, which makes it even better.

But it doesn't look like we're going to be able to find anywhere to stay in the next few weeks so we're onto plan B.

We're going on a car camping trip!

Oh yes.  This is the best part of moving- the homeless stage.  Oh, we're not homeless so much as between houses.  That sounds better, right?  Sort of like, I'm between jobs right now.  We will be moving into a new place, it's just a question of when.  :)

As of right now we have most of our rooms all packed up.  There are a few odds and ends and a few strays that have yet to find a box to go into, but most of it's all done.  I have taken apart my bed and am now doing the mattress-on-the-floor thing.  It's not as bad as it seems.

This morning the sister and I packed up a load into the back of dad's truck and, once mom's off of work we'll head over to get a storage shed and put it all in there, then we'll load it back up.  My sister and I have decided that we're going to clear out the garage first.  There's a lot of stuff in there and life will be much easier if we can clear that out.

Hopefully that shouldn't take us more than a couple of days to get all cleared out and into the storage shed.

But our biggest problem will be dealing with two cars that are A, not currently running, and B, not exactly registered or insured.  I figure that in order to get them up and running we've got a lot of work to do.  The Green Car will require a new windscreen, a new battery and it will need to be insured and registered.  Once that's done then It'll need to go for the smog test and, once that's passed I'll be able to pick up the registration sticker, slap it onto the license plate and it'll be legal once more.  I think I'd need to do the same thing for Babe- though from what I understand Babe isn't exactly letting anyone open the hood.  Which makes putting in a new battery a bit difficult.  Hopefully we can get some help from people who are better at cars than we are.

We are really hoping to be out by the first so we don't have to pay any rent for the month of July- let us see how well we do!

No comments: