Friday, January 14, 2011

Three Dog Night

I always wanted three kids. As in human children. I have none. But I do have a dog, Cooper. And boy it took a lot of time, effort and emotion getting her to be a solid citizen and my work still isn't done-not by half. She can always improve her manners.

Recently I have sort of become the caretaker for my aunt's two dogs: Roxie and Kai. Roxie is a redhead and dumb as a brick but sweet. She's always really bad about putting her nose where it does not belong. I'm constantly having to yell at her to get away from food. And then there's Kai who is a 6 month old chihuahua mix and has a bladder problem. More like, she has no concept that all peeing and pooping is something to be done outside and only outside. She drives me crazy, especially when I come from being gone all day long and find that she's peed on my bed. She's lucky I haven't killed her yet. And both dogs shred anything. Kleenex, paper towels, boxes, books. Yes, books.

They're both lucky I have not killed them yet.

But because of Roxie Cooper is acting more like a dog. She's fetched 4 times now! And we're so proud. She plays with other dogs. Granted Kai has become her favorite toy but... she's playing.

I always did want three children. Mainly because of the great sibling dynamics it creates but now I have a better appreciation for parents of 1 kid... it's easier... might not be as challenging as 2 or 3 but (depending on the child) easier.

I have often asked how dogs and toddlers are different and the prime difference i can think of is that toddlers grow up... dogs don't. You also don't have to change a dog's diaper. However, like toddlers, my dogs do have regular nap time. They will play until about 2 when they all just lie down and nap. No matter what they are doing, all three of them lie down for a nice nap all on their own accord. They sleep for about an hour then get up and do whatever. And then, about 8PM they go down for another nap. They sleep for about an hour and then it's time to pee and they come back in, play a bit and settle down for bed by 10.

It is a bright and beautiful day today and if I can get the gumption to get up maybe Libbie and I can take the girls to the dog park. We have three balls, three dogs and a ball launcher. Could be fun.

No comments: