Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Harry Potter!

Warning there will be spoilers!
Just not yet-I'll let you know when...


Today (Wednesday) HP VI came out at midnight and, as it tradition, I have been hoping to see it at the midnight showing-whoever came up with that idea is pure genius!-and, as Cody has one, small theater, I have checking online to see if they have a midnight showing. There was nothing about it and I was half afraid I was going to have to go to Powell to see it (at least another hour's drive from Cody)! I did some of my rat killing, went over and found the theaters and went inside and saw a flier that said : Harry Potter, midnight showing.

WOOT! So I enter and I ask if they still had tickets for the midnight showing and they go ya, how many do you want. I reply-one. So I finish my shopping and I go home and then, about 8:30 I head back to Cody to wait. I get there about 9:30 seeing as it takes an hour to get into Cody proper and this is a bit off the beaten path so really I get there about a quarter to 10.

And there isn't very many people in line. They had two theaters (each one holding about 130 people) open for HP and they were filled... not surprising. We were let into the theaters about 11 and I kid you not, I could have shown up at 11 and gotten a decent seat-even if I was with company... wow small towns huh?

Oh, and the ticket? $7.50. Hot dog son but shoot, that is cheap!! And then the large popcorn and large soda? $7 for the combo. I am so liking that, makes moving going cheap.

And then the movie started and it was FANTASTIC! The best movie they have made to date!

And now for a spoiler warning:














The movie doesn't start the way the book does with the Other Minister but instead shows the bridge being destroyed by death eaters. Then it shows HP with Dumbldore getting slughorn and it is the guy who played the role of what's his name from Moulan Rouge and he did a superb job of it! A really great slughorn, very good.

It is an almost three hour movie but it moves so fast you don't even notice and before you know it, it's towards the end. This has got to be the best acted film yet. There is a part where, during Christmas HP is at the Weaslies-back track-this movie is funny, really funny. You will lose a lot of dialogue from laughter so you are gonna have to see it a few times.

The funny thing is the whole being 16 and in love. There is only one quidditch match and it's the one where HP "gives" Ron the liquid luck. He then becomes the hero and Lavender Brown tosses herself at Ron and snogs him in front of the whole common room. There is much cheering. Rupert Grint does a superb job with Ron, especially when he has eaten all of those chocolates with the love potion. Funny! And, afterwards, in the hospital, Hermione and Lavender have a little row over Ron. It was a great little scene and worth a chuckle or two.

I have to mention that the kid who played Malfoy was simply superb. Malfoy is not a killer and it shows. At various points it shows him going into the room of requirement and fixing the vanishing cabinet. At one point he puts a bird inside of it, to test it, and when it comes back it comes back dead and he feels anguish, he starts to cry. The scene where HP does the whole scemptum spemra curse, DM is leaning over a sink and not just crying but sobbing, as if his entire soul is being shredded-he doesn't really have the stomach for murder. And when Katie bell comes back from hospital he sees her return and his entire face is filled with horror at what he has done. He is definitely worth watching in this one.

During Christmas there is a scene at the Burrow where HP and GW are about to kiss (she being in her bathrobe) and then flames erupt and Belatrix Lestrange shows up. Harry runs out of the house and runs after her. The adults are caught by the fire and begin to try and undo it. Ginny, still in her bathrobe, runs after him. There is a moment when she is alone and Fenrir the werewolf finds her. And I shall tell you no more. It's a scene not in the book but one I could not object to.

They took out the apparating lessons for sixth years but they really didn't need it and nor did they have HP's endless detentions with Snape. They left the important stuff and took out the stuff they didn't really need. Although they didn't have Hermoine figure out who Eileen Prince was. Snape saves HP's life though. If you watch what Snape does, oh man, the "evil" ones are more gray than black in this movie.

And in the cave, finding the horcrux... man the score is simply beautiful, just magnificent. After Dumbledore asks HP for water, he goes to the lake and fills the shell with water and there is no score and suddenly a hand shoots out and everyone screams. But one thing I simply loved was, when the school is crowded around a dead dumbldore, P. McG. raises her wand into the sky and the end glows. Soon every student does the same and it's a beautiful symbol that light and goodness shall always overcome evil and darkness. Simply beautiful.

It will require a second viewing just to get the dialogue I missed. I'd love to see it today but chores prevent me. I didn't get home until about 4 this AM.

But ya, I walked away from the film without a single objection. Save one small one, it was Luna who found HP in the train not Tonks. But there is a good line which I like. HP says, I'm sorry I made you miss the carriages. Luna replies, that's okay this way it feels like I have a friend. And HP says, you are my friend and she replies, oh. And then they meet Flitwick who goes, there you are! I've been searching all over for you two! Pause: who are you? Everyone started laughing so you couldn't hear what Hp said in response.

Very funny and full of heart, lots of heart, very well done and I am quite pleased with it.

And that is all I am going to say about the film.

Love you all,

EHM

3 comments:

Erudite Aspie said...

It is going to be so hard to wait until Friday to see this!!!

Christina said...

ARGGGGHHHH I can't see it until next month. :(

Jenn said...

I'll go when I have someone to go with!

I'm glad it's good, though. I haven't seen bad reviews of it in general.

It's not the same not seeing it with my kids, though.