Sunday, September 30, 2012

Living the Life of Filey

If I've not said it before, I'll say it now, I love living in Filey.  I feel at home here.  I have always loved small towns, quiet places and this town suits me to a T.  Sure, there're no UA or Century (UK translation: Reel or VUE cinemas) just down the street, there's no Target  or Raley's or even a large Tesco (though there is a Tesco).  If we wanted to do any major shopping we'd need to go to Scarborough or Hull, the two closest cities.  But I don't mind, we don't do much major shopping and we go into Hull once a month anyway.

But Filey is a small, quiet seaside town and I have come to realize that I am eminently suited to Filey living.  Our neighbors probably remember historical events dating back to the 40s though I am sure a good number of them were doing the sock hop in the early 50s.  And I love the fact that Mark & I are probably the youngest couple in our part of the neighborhood by about 50 years.  Love it.

But there are other things I love about living here and here's one: laundry.

We have a washing machine in our borrowed bungalow but no dryer, but we don't need one.  The backyard is eminently suitable for drying clothes.  Mark put up a line when we first moved in and the sun and the wind make the perfect dryer.  Just today I was taking down dry clothes, putting up wet clothes for drying when I smelled the dry clothes.  They smelled clean, as they should but they also smelled of the ocean.  It's been overcast all day but the wind has been gently blowing off the North Sea all day and though the sun hasn't been out to help the wind dry the clothes, they are getting dry.  And now the clothes smell of clean soap and the ocean.

There are few things that smell as good as something clean but add the bracing scent of sea air and it opens up memories.  Just one scent of the laundry reminds me of happy days with my family.  I remember a picture, in particular of my sister, my brother and I wrapped up in a blanket with the Pacific behind us.  It was a cold, cold day on that beach.  We'd been in a parade with the Sacramento Youth Band just earlier that day and it had been hot, the Benicia parades were always hot, but it was cold on the beach and either Mom or Dad caught a picture of the three of us bundled against the cold.  It was a good, fun day.  And just one scent reminds me of those good days.  It reminds me of happy times with my family.

So yeah, I like doing laundry, I enjoy putting it up on the line and I enjoy taking it down, folding it and putting it away.  I like the memories they give me.  I like the memory of being a young child and playing outside while Mom put white sheets on the line in the backyard of our house on Village Wood Drive.  Those were happy days and happy memories.

Which is one more reason I love living in Filey.

No comments: