Thursday, October 8, 2009

All Quiet on the Eastern Front

It is almost 0730 and I am all alone. I opened this morning and I am glad I did, not because it means I get off at 1600 but because it was a very quiet and beautiful morning to open. I arrived and the barricades to the gate were already closed which means that LE closed the roads up to Sylvan Pass as they have determined it to be too dangerous for traffic until a plow can come through and open the roads.
So I have this entire world all to myself, at least until Penny comes in at 0800. The mountains all around me are covered in a layer of snow and the tops of them are hidden due to a very dense fog bank. Even Sleeping Giant, always a guardian in the Eastern Sky is hidden as he sleeps, the base of his mountain white but for a few bare spots where rock and tree seem impervious to the snow.

Our lampposts have a small coasting of the snow on them as well as do our building and the roof the of gate. It snowed last night and then, sometime during the night the snow froze and there is a coating of ice all over the roads and sidewalks. It makes walking somewhat treacherous but I don't mind it. I saw prints in the snow, some of them were mine from last night and others were from vehicles and even an animal. I saw Bob the Fox's paw prints in the snow so obviously he has already ben out and about to find his breakfast.

One thing I like about the snow is that it makes everything very hushed and quiet until people come along and ruin the serenity of the place. It feels like winter to me and I have to work very hard not to sing christmas carols while my entire world is covered in snow and ice. I do love it. I can't wait for my lunch break in 4 hours so Cooper can go outside and run, jump and play in the snow. I love watching her enjoy the snow almost as much as she loves playing in the snow.

I wish I could find the battery charger to my camera so I could charge my batter and take pictures of this because it is just stunning.

And now that the sun is up and the world is probably waking and getting to work I have a lot of phone calls I need to make. Whenever our gate closes for any reason we have about 20 calls to make to let various people know that Sylvan Pass is closed for the forseable future. And then, when it opens again we have to call all those people back and let them know it's open again.

To be honest, I like it best when it's snowy like this and Sylvan is closed, we get so few people coming up and it's sort of like a celebration here.

Anyway, off to work I go.

Love you,

Ehm

7 comments:

Erudite Aspie said...

Sounds pretty! I too wish you had your camera.

On a totally unrelated note, did you know that in Italy, and I'd guess for all Europe, they use military time as a matter of course, especially for train schedules? It makes so much more sense.

Christina said...

Find your camera! Or else!

Elizabeth - they do everywhere I've been there. So, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Germany (and Italy.)

Unknown said...

I have my camera I just can't find the charger for the battery is all!

Christina said...

I need a new "or else".

I want to go to the snow this year. I haven't yet figured out how to stuff Caeden into very warm clothes - it's hard enough getting a sweater on the boy while he giggles and makes his arms alternately limp and floppy or sticks them straight out from his body.

Unknown said...

I have found my batter charger and have charged my batter and will now attempt to post pictures!

Jenn said...

Yah, and at least have them to put in my camera when you get home in a couple of weeks!

Unknown said...

I have not deleted the pictures from my camera from the En Fuego pictures so that when I get home I can download them all into your computer so you can have the entire set of YELL 09 pictures on your comp.